By Rebecca A. Melanson, MSU Extension
The Southeast Regional Strawberry Integrated Pest Management Guide Focused on Plasticulture Production is revised annually by a team of university specialists. These annual revisions include updates to pesticide efficacy ratings, management recommendations, and product information. Along with these regular annual updates, a number of additions have been incorporated into the 2021 guide to help improve its usefulness for growers and stakeholders.
Major additions include:
- An update on a new disease (Neopestalotiopsis fruit rot and leaf spot)
- A seasonal “at-a-glance” disease guide
- A section with information on cultivar resistance to anthracnose
- A section with information on anaerobic soil disinfestation and on cover cropping and soil incorporation techniques
- A section on viruses in strawberries
- An efficacy table on the various chemicals for strawberry insect management
- A section on wildlife damage prevention (focused on birds, deer, and voles)
- Photo pages of various diseases, insects, and weeds discussed in the guide
The 2021 Southeast Regional Strawberry Integrated Pest Management Guide Focused on Plasticulture Production is now available online on the Southern Region Small Fruit Consortium webpage (https://smallfruits.org) under the IPM/Production Guides tab.